Monday, August 23, 2021

Lockdown perks

 I'm darn proud of myself, really.

Over the course of 2020 and this year, I've picked up new skills. Well, random skills, really. Skills nonetheless. Thought of penning them down. Achievements, you know.

  • Refreshing VBA skills. This isnt much, though. I'm happy to look at this once in a while, just coz I love Excel, heh. Did an easy template for the previous company before they made me redundant, so I felt great about it. Doing something no one could in that company.
  • Knitting. Well, this is no new news. Beanies have been a joy to start and complete. Still amazed at how a ball of strings can tangle together to form fabric, take shape, and fit on my big head beautifully. I loved that I got into this hobby. Currently still knitting a beanie, for Fen. A couple of his beanies have holes/are bitten by Ash/shrank because I threw it in the washing machine.
  • Sewing. How crazy. Never would I have thought I'd touch a sewing machine, much less make an entire dress out of it. It was pure fun. Did not enjoy the pinning and cutting, and these take up 70% of the time to make the garment. Pfft.
  • Running and cycling. Fen and I are currently trying to get in the habit of running 2x a week, or getting a 10km run. It's just little goals we give ourselves while in lockdown. I'm making the most of lockdown, because it got boring to mope around doing nothing. Not that I really moped about it though! LOL. Just really wanted to make the time matter. We have mapped out the 10km route, have done the cycling around it to confirm. It's now just waiting to make it happen!! Running is not new to us too, but we certainly have gotten quite out of touch. It's just a lotta walking these days.
    And with cycling, we both totally forgot how AWESOME it is to go long distances. We did a 34km one Sunday, and that was so liberating! We told ourselves to go further and set a destination to reach the city when lockdown lifts. Cant wait!!
  • Learning Japanese. I literally just got the textbooks last Friday. I've actually got into learning Japanese in 2019, when working as a receptionist. It was a very boring job with a lot of time on hand, and I didnt wanna become stupid, and there are free resources online. I was in and out of it until now (that's 2 years!), because I plateaued at learning Kanji, so decided to pay for this journey to officially and properly grasp the language! Really excited, because I will level up from bilingual to multilingual!!! Woohoo!! I have my last 2 years of learning Hiragana Katakana Kanji to thank for, because I'm familiar with them and can quickly move on to sentence structures and grammer now. We'll see!
  • Baking. Lol. Back in SG, I have NEVER nailed baking. Short of burning myself, my creations were always a flop. Always. And now! Baking is one of my ways to relieve stress. We bake and we give to our friends. It was great to hear feedback and perfect a recipe. As usual, I only deal with easy recipes! Burnt basque cheesecake is my top favourite, and everyone loves it =D
That should be about it. I havent been this upbeat in a while, reckon it calls for a celebration eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment